Header

OUR COMPANY

The P.C.F. snc was founded in the mid-90s of the last century by Domenico and Antonio brothers, the heirs and descendants of the Fraraccio family tradition in the construction of knives and cutting tools. The factory is located in the municipality of Frosolone, a small town in the Apennines mountains.
Fraraccio manufactures scissors and knives for home and professional use as well as continuing the typical manufacture of folding knives from the peculiar forms of the local culture: knives that once represented indispensable work tools and which are now sought after by collectors and enthusiasts and appreciated for robustness and quality finishes.
The traditional production performed entirely by hand with the help of a few simple tools, has evolved over time, but even today, although marked with semi-industrial techniques, preserves features of craftsmanship.
The master craftsman is essentialkey role in shaping at the best the steel, giving it shape, strength and flexibility that are then enhanced by the sharpening, entirely done by hand.
Our products, suitable for use with food, are made exclusively with European Stainless Steel AISIin a way to always ensure the best quality and extreme durability.

 

HISTORY

"In London the best razors are imported from Molise, whose fame goes beyond the borders of the Kingdom of Naples, competing with those of Toledo and Sheffield." Benedetto Croce (1866-1952)

Frosolone is a small town on the Apennines mountains, in Molise, located 894 meters above sea level halfway between the capitals of Isernia and Campobasso. And 'an ancient historical memories and traditions. The first settlement "Fulsulae", quoted by Livy (59 BC - 17 A.D.) and placed to the west of the current, has ancient origins and in pre-Roman times was populated by Sunni and Oscan populations. This village was destroyed by the Romans when, after hard struggles defeated the Samnites and they conquered the territories; the remains are still visible in places Civitelle.

According to some authors (Michele Colozza, in the book "Frosolone origin subversion of feudalism", published in 1933) the origin of metalworking in Frosolone risalirebbeal VI century AD when the Lombards crossed Italy and heading south they founded the duchy of Benevento. Others feel that began between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries under the domination of Monforte-Gambatesa who arrived in Campobasso in 1312 from France and devoted to the art of war, stimulated and forced his subjects to become familiar in the processing of weapons then used and metal accessories of the equestrian militia. Also of Campobasso craftsmen specialized in this art and later, in the early 1800s, developed skills in making steel objects traforato.Queste work had considerable development under the domination of Gonzaga (XIV century), mainly through the work of Don Ferrante, Duke of Guastalla and Count of Campobasso, who called gunsmiths from Milan. The edict of Charles III of Bourbon, in 1750, forbade the construction of weapons outside the places designated by the Ministry of War and the production, also favored by the general and widespread protectionism of Bourbon governments by imposing heavy import duties assets, became specialized in scissors, knives, razors and tools for agriculture. the early nineteenth century documents explicitly report news on the construction of blades in Frosolone. Testimony to the skill of the local knife was the awarding of the brothers Justin and Louis Fazioli, in 1828, the silver medal at the Artisan of Naples. In those years the country was decimated by multiple disasters: the earthquake of 1805, the typhus epidemic of 1817, the flood of 1822 and the cholera epidemic in 1837. Despite this, the village had, in 1870, more than 6000 inhabitants and hundreds of knife and scissor organized in small family-run shops. The individualistic spirit delayed much the attempts of some form of cooperation and efforts were made to overcome the lack of technological innovations through the expertise in work and keeping prices down. In the last years of the nineteenth century, on the occasion of Administrative elections in Frosolone, they formed two factions: on one side the "forcaioli" and the other the "Bulangisti". In 1900 some traders who recognized in "forcaioli" formed the company "Union of the steel works factories" with duration of ten years, instead dissolved seven years after its establishment following the Orlando Law of 1907. This law forbade the construction and sale of knives because they are considered weapons and only later was clarified how this rule would prevent the sale only of the knives with pointed blades of such dimensions as to produce dangerous wounds. In the same years he was born a second cooperative: "Independence" in which he recognized the "Bulangisti". Numerous knife and scissor of Frosolone entrusted to this the sale of their products in preference to '' Union. " In July of 1907 it was established the "Cooperative Steel worked" in which he recognized the "forcaioli". The company's duration was set in twenty years, but the law Giolitti 8 November 1908, which provided for the reduction of the length of 10 to 4 cm blade for sharp knives, determined its closure in the year following its establishment. The years 1910 and 1911 were marked by a strong crisis that favored the emigration to America where more favorable political and economic conditions would help the frosolonese tradition. Thus, for example, he was born in the United States the "Imperial knife", active until 2004. A form of cooperation filming life in 1921 when some craftsmen diorganizzarsi tried again with Coltellinai League. The company's duration was brief; after three years was put into liquidation following the Advanced bankruptcy filing by a company power supply company for a debt of ITL 12000. The world crisis of 1929 struck the field of cutlery so that the same City Council to meet the miserable conditions imposed on the craftsmen of the village traders to buy the entire production. The last form of association is the abuses which have occurred Cooperative Riunite Coltellerie established in 1944 and ceased in 1988, then taken over by Fraraccio family. To date, despite the adverse socio-political conditions the industry is a driving force of the economy of Frosolone.

 

 

 

Fraraccio: The bond between the steel and the fate of an entire family

In 1847, from a small peasant family living in the countryside, he was born Vincenzo Fraraccio that since his youth he recognized in the processing of metals his true calling. Very young, moved to the center of Frosolone, teeming with small shops, to learn the craft and, presumably between 1869 and 1875, he set up the first shop specializing as steel scissors. His father was succeeded by his son Michael (born in 1887) who went on with passion and dedication to his father's work. The years that followed were difficult, marked by two world wars and deep crises. In those years he began to learn the art of forging Fraraccio Domenico (1900-1977), son of Michael, who decided to perfect the art learned from the parent with the help of Francesco Di Nunzio, godfather, and Francis of 'Orso.La passion in the processing of the blades accomunò to that of the Piscitelli family (historical producer frosolonese family of valuable knives) and became part of marrying Filomena. Among the five children of Domenico only Michele (1924-2002) and Francis they decided to carry on the family tradition by transforming the shop gradually. These were the years of the "workshop school": the young apprentices Michele guide learn the secrets of lavorazione.La dynamism and the spirit of creativity marked a profound change in company Fraraccio and in 1970 the manufacture of the scissors came alongside the production of knives . The years run quickly, the new generations take over the company. The generational change creates two new, separate, entrepreneurial reality. Domenico and Antonio Fraraccio, sons of Michele, creating in 1994 the current company. Today a new generation change is coming: the sixth generation Fraraccio is engaged in the company. We can therefore say that the red-hot passion for the blades has sealed the fate of a century of Fraraccio generations.

 

NOTE! This site uses cookies and similar technologies.

If you not change browser settings, you agree to it. Learn more

I understand

AcyMailing Module

  • Indirizzo: P.C.F. snc di Fraraccio Domenico e Antonio
    Produzione Coltellerie Fraraccio
    Via Sant'Egidio
    Sede Operativa : Zona Industriale Fresilia 1
    86095 Frosolone (Isernia)
    P. IVA 00372380949
  • Contatti: +39 0874 899874 - Telefono
    +39 0874 890281 - Fax
    info@fraraccio.it - E-mail